Hello Mr./Ms. Food Engineer! Yeah, you heard me and hope I am not wrong. You know what? Before describing the best grill pan, we made long research on it. How? By making a survey by our-self. We took more than a thousand opinions from the different cooking master.
Theses opinions helped us to find the strategic benefits of different types of the grill pan. Besides that, we also added our practical experience too. Finally, we were able to reveal the wanted tips besides the important points you may skip while buying it.
Though you are a well-experienced chef, you may find something new here which you don’t want to miss. Thinking of what is so deep about it? Well, in that case, you need to read on and know that we value your time!
Since we don’t know whether you are an expert or not! We start from the beginning with the basic issues. Hope, Before you reach the end, you will get your every answer of your W/H questions.
Let’s start with a very basic question like:
What is a Grill Pan?
A grill pan is a cooking tool used for grilling something but is enough for you? this definition may be enough for the experts but this will not make any sense to them who have not used it yet, Right?
Okay, so, A grill pan is a frying pan for making food with radiant heat on the top of the stove by having metal grid in it. this helps the food to get the radiant heat.
You can say a series of parallel raised grill or ridges helps the cooker to cook food under the grill part of the pan.
Hope, now it makes sense or still if it doesn’t, see the anatomy of a grill pan below:
- Cooking surface
Besides that anatomy, you have seen above, if you should know the mechanism of a grill pan. Why? It will help you to understand more about it and most importantly it will be easy to buy the best one.
The Mechanism of a Grill Pan:
This is all about the transformation of heat to the surface of the food. A grill pan transfers the heat through the direct conduction. The temperature often gets excess of 260 degrees C (500 degrees F) indirect grilling. you can already assume that this heat can expose the food in a very quick duration… However, you can control the temperature according to the food.
One more important thing is – do not confuse a grill pan with a griddle. You will find a griddle with a flat surface and a grill pan is covered with at least half a centimeter raised ridges. These ridges help the food to drop the fat and juices which makes it crispier most likely an outdoor grill.
Alright, now it is time to select the right one. To find the best, we have segmented a few steps which can assist you to spend the money on the right product. These are:
Know What You Want Before go Shopping:
Remember, you are not going to buy the grill pan every day and it is going to be a long-time commitment perhaps. So, you need to pay attention to all the options. There are different types of grill pan available in the market. So, before going for the best one, you better choose the type first according to your cooking options. Keep in mind that, while choosing the type, you need to make sure that this is capable of your desired recopies.
Let’s start with the types:
Grill Pan for Oven:
Though all grill pans looks like almost the same but there is the difference among size, quality, shape, and features. So what you need to do is find the size which suits your oven. Since we don’t know about your oven, we have sorted out a few must universal facts as given below. Though these are at-least points that you need to make sure but give them at-most priority:
- For ensuring great even heating it needs heavy gauge aluminum construction.
- For excellent durability, it has to be hard anodized.
- At least three-layer nonstick coating would be fine. Two layers for providing durability and the third one for easy release performance.
- The nonstick surface helps you to cook food healthier by using less fat as well as comes with effortless cleanup.
- Make sure the pans and covers are oven safe. Check it in features.
- Try to find deep ridges which can add authentic grill flavor to meats and browns evenly while locking in juices.
- Check the temperature guideline. For example Oven safe to 450 degrees F.
Ask yourself that – Is the shape of the grill pan suits your oven and easy to use?
Grill Pan for Stove:
So now you know how to ensure the basic qualities for almost all the grill pans. Besides those, you need to add a few more facts while you are going to buy it for use on a stove. These are:
- Since we do not know how many burners you stove has? you should find the grill pan according to your burners. There are lots of options available in the market with many burners and single burners.
- When you are trying to find something large, make sure it provides quick and even heating throughout the pan surface.
- Ask yourself – Is it perfect in size for your family meal?
- When the pan is on the stove, it creates smoke. So, what you should know here is – Is it good in eliminating smoke by adding water into the drip pan or outer ring?
- Is it also good enough for oven use, if yes, then in what temperature?
- Is it great in catching fat, juices, and grease as well as preventing flare-ups?
- Is the size of the grilling surface good enough to grill large things ?
Grill Pan for Gas Stove:
When it comes with a question of the gas stove, you need to be more careful. Why? Well, what if I ask you that – is your pan ok with electric gas or good on propane gas stove or is it suitable for both of them? Yeah, lot of questions! Know the things which you should know before you go for the Gas grill:
- Stew and grill in one can be a great choice.
- Stainless steel construction is good for the gas option because the heat can pass through nicely to the fish or meat for the optimal and even grilling.
- To ensure that this pan is good for all grilling options, you need to know all the fuel for the most common grilling system. These are Charcoal, Gas, Propane, Infrared and electric portable.
- If you have an oven too, make sure it can perform in the oven too. However, some can be found like good in the toaster oven and might be messy if grilling so, make sure this product is good for your recipes very specifically.
Grill Pan for Glass Top Stove:
This is a very common question that – Can I use a grill pan or a cast iron on a glass top stove? Well, the answer is yes but there are some limitations. There are possibilities of getting sketched on the stove. However, The Cookware manufacturers association states that cast iron is safe to use on glass top as long as you understand the unique characteristics. Before you go shopping, make sure the below points:
Grill Pan for Burgers :
So, you are a burger lover! Great! The good news is yes you can find grill pan specifically for easy making of burgers. Not only pan you can find another thing for burgers called burger press. These come in various sizes and design. So it doesn’t matter what size do you like? Now let us get you to know the facts which matter most for the burger press;
- Make sure the material is odorless, non-toxic and BPA free as well as environmentally protected by durable material.
- You can find some product which can make two things at a time. This may come helpful to you.
- See the restriction of use if it has any and thinks about them before you go shopping.
Now, we know the different types and need to choose the right one. Well, before you choose the type, ask yourself the below questions:
- Which type of stove do I need?
- It depends on your cooking source (Oven or Gas top stove).
- Why gas of your stove is important?
- Grill pan may differ among Gas
- Why number of burners is important?
- Size matters.
- Which type of food I am going to make by that grill pan?
- For making sure that my pan is capable for my desired food.
- How often I need this for that specific food item?
Give priority to that pan which is capable for so often item because every pan is not capable for every kind of food.
- How big my family is?
- For making sure that the amount of food I need can be made by once by that pan.
- I am buying for how many purposes?
- Try to find that one which can fulfill your every purpose.
- Am I looking for both outdoor and indoor grilling in one solution?
- You already have the answer in the question.
Well, this is how you can be determined of your wanted type but how about features! Yes, now it is time to know the different features of the different grill pan.
Type of Grill Pan Based on Features:
We are going to discuss here the most important, common and popular features with the differences. These will help you to choose the right one according to your cooking style.
Which featured grill pan can help you how!
Grill Pan With Lid/Cover:
Nowadays, almost every grill pan comes with a lid but sometimes you need to buy it separately. The interesting part is lid can change the grade of that grill pan. How? First, get the answer to the below questions which you will find in the product info. then we will compare one with another
Is the tempered glass with steam vent? (Applicable for Glass lid)
Is the rim made with stainless steel or approved silicon or something which is friendly? (Applicable for Glass lid)
Is the handle heatproof?
Is it transferable to the oven? If yes, what is max temperature?
Yes/No, XX temp.
Is it good for multi-use programmable pressure cooker?
Is the glass transparent enough so that I can see what is going on inside that? (Applicable for glass lid)
Is it good enough to keep food warm?
Is it dishwasher safe?
How heavy is that or does it weigh comfortable? (Applicable for Iron lid)
Yes/No (weight matters, when you will go for camping and you will need to carry this)
If the lid does not come with the grill pan, is there any lid available specifically for that size in the market? (Sometimes the price of lid is more than the pan), (Applicable for Iron lid)
So these were the basic things to think about before choosing the grill pan with lid. Make sure the answer is “YES” of all the questions given above before you buy. Now, get the comparison as given below:
Weight: Glass lid weigh less than the iron lid but they weigh almost the same of aluminum.
Price: Usually the price of Iron lid is higher than the others.
Transparency: You may already understand that only glass lid is transparent so you can see inside the pan while cooking.
However, you will find some lid with high ridges which means the lid can be used also as a pan. Isn’t amazing! Choose the lid according to your needs.
Grill Pan With Holes:
Here you go, the breakfast is ready. Pizza! Yes, this type is little uncommon in uses but these are very handy for making pizza especially. See below, why the holes are important?
- Holes allow hot air circulation to make the food crispy.
- For the holes, the food got heat up quickly.
- Evenly spaced holes make the food good in even heating and provide crispy crusts in the bottom of the food.
- You can find it in different sizes.
What you need to know in the product info. before you buy this type?
Is it transferable to the oven for warming up when the pizza is frozen?
Does it match my wanted size?
Is the even heating is good?
How high heating can it tolerate? ( Usually a fresh pizza needs minimum 450 degree)
Is it dishwasher safe?
Make sure the answer is YES of all above as well as know that what you should care while using it?
Slide your pizza off and then cut it because, if you cut it on the pan, there is a chance to get sketch on the top of the pan.
If it needs to put in oven, make sure there is no other thing like grill rack etc.
Before putting it on a gas grill, make sure it is suitable for that.
Know, if it needs to add oil to the pan and then place dough.
Know, is it good for only crispier pizza or other things like fish sticks or French fries!
Don’t you think there can be some limitation:
- Sometimes the holes may become annoying when you use dough in some cases.
- Stuff sometimes may get stuck to the place between the holes and it is virtually tough to clean that off.
- Though it is not good to cut the pizza on the pan if you still do it, there is a chance of all kind of crumbs may fall through the holes.
Grill Pan With Handle:
You may already guess that without handle it becomes a little tough to use. The handle should be a concern because there are lots of varieties in the handle. Only you know which handle will be handy for you. See here the most popular categories with the description below:
Removable Silicon for Handle:
You will find silicon works as handle cover to make it heat resistant. In most of the cases, this silicon may not be safe when your skillet is in the oven. It may come handy when you need to lift the pan. It is removable and easy to adjust with the handle.
Handle With Hanging Ring:
This is an excellent feature with the silly mechanism that helps a lot to store your grill pan. Yes, with the hanging ring of the handle, you can store it by hanging when it is not in use.
Handle With Rubber
This handle is extremely heat resistant and does not get hot whatsoever. Here we are talking about fixed handle which means you cannot remove this silicon. There can be a hole in the handle to hang it when it is not in use. One more thing that, before you cook, make sure your handle is not loose and well riveted
Folding Wooden Handle:
You may call it a space-saving hacker or just a highly practical addition to any kitchen. Usually, almost every pan now comes with a hole or a ring to hang it and these types usually have a ring. The most interesting part is the handle can be folded easily and make sure it is not loose while using. Works great on the stovetop but before using in the oven, see the instruction in the product info.
Grill Pan With Removable Handle:
Sounds cool, huh! Yeah, you may find so many grill pan with a removable handle but there is something you need to know. What’s that? After a few use the handle may become loose just because of its a removable feature. However, the pan with this type of handle usually become small and lightweight. It may become a great choice if you can ensure that the handle will not become loose. one more thing – make sure the size is good enough for your family.
So these are the most common and great features you might be looking for. However, there are more handles which are not heat resistant. Example: A skillet never becomes heat resistant without a silicone handle cover. Not only this, but you may also find steel and aluminum handle and they may not be heat resistant too. So, these are not safe to use.
For the big size grill pan, the anti-scaling handle may be a good option. Besides that, you will find carrying handle on both sides for lifting them.
One more very important thing about handle is – Do not forget to make sure that your grill handle is good enough for oven use in the max. temperature.
Grill Pan With Ridges:
Yes, ridges are one of the main things which defines a grill pan and without ridges, it is just a griddle. So what you can see in ridges? Well, you will find that in some cases, the ridges of the small pan look so tiny and you will not feel it. Make sure the ridges are high enough for good grilling.
How about the designs of ridges? Most of the grill pan has ridges like a straight line but know that there is a variety in design. You may choose the design according to your food though the straight-line design is the most popular.
Don’t you think that the above four parts of a grill pan is the most important things for your comfortable use! I hope, it will help you to select an option for buying but hold a second…
How about the construction material? Yes, construction material matters to find the right one of-course. Now before you get one in your kitchen, know the different materials with their characteristics for different pans.
Sometimes it happens like you find everything is good until you find the great! Right? When grill pan comes with a question of construction material, it is a little difficult to differentiate one to another. Why? Nowadays manufacturers are trying to provide you every possible facility with extreme longevity. They are actually well attentive to your demands. So, it seems like everyone is good.
Therefore, here we try to sort out the pros and cons of different categories based on the common behavior of construction materials. So, you can compare them by yourself.
Before we start, get you know the most common materials for grill pans are:
- Cast Iron,
- Stainless steel,
- Anodized aluminum.
Here we go….
One of the most common materials for the grill pan is Cast Iron. This has of-course reasons for being popular and they are:
Cast Iron Grill Pan:
- Cast Iron vessels have better durability than other advanced cookware,
- This can sustain high temperatures,
- Taste great after cooking,
- It can stay hot for a longer period of time after heating,
- Last long time.
- Take much longer to heat up,
- Needs more attention to maintain it fine such as lightly oiling after use,
- There is a chance to get rust,
- If you want to carry it to outdoor camping then weight is a problem. It weighs heavy.
- It is reactive and not good if there is any acetic food on the surface.
These are the very usual behavior of cast iron. If you made up your mind for this then you must want to know how to care and how to choose the best one among them.
Ceramic has been used for many centuries. Yes, you heard me right. This is a classy and very safe option for your food just because if you don’t trust other coatings. Why these are so reputed? The answer is here:
- You can use soap and abrasive cleaning supplies for cleaning which means easy to clean. You can say easier than Cast Iron.
- Don’t worry about scratch. You can use metal utensil here but be sure this is scratch resistant.
- Ceramic holds onto heat well which means it can cook in low heat.
- There is no possibility of leaching because, it is so natural.
- Cooks food both inside and outside great which means cooks food evenly.
- Last long.
- It takes long time to heat up.
- Can be broken, if you are unconscious.
- Weigh heavy.
- For the above reasons, this may not be a great choice for outdoor cooking.
This is a great cookware for indoor grilling. As you already know this has no possibility of leaching which means healthy food. This one feature differs it from others so specially. Before getting one, do you know how would you care about it and what more can help you to find the best one?
Stainless Steel Grill Pan:
No wonder if professionals agree with stainless steel. The quality and lot of verities make this option so popular. Nowadays, this has become a great choice among cookers. Surprised! See why:
- Due to the chromium alloy, It has the auto-healing power. With the help of little oxygen, transparent chromium oxide mixed with chromium becomes the agent to protect the surface of stainless steel.
- Don’t worry about corrosion and rust. Not only these, it is also dents, scratches, stain and dings resistant due to the metal properties.
- Extreme sturdy and strong.
- Recyclable and eco-friendly.
- Stainless steel is non-reactive which means you can use any acetic ingredients or anything in it.
- Easy to clean and often dishwasher free.
- There are so many inexpensive options available in the market.
- Inexpensive one may cost you poor heat transfer.
- Poor heat distribution.
- The food may stick to the pan.
- There is a little possibility of leaching heavy metal poisoning if the surface is outdated.
So, need this sparkling bright? This may take a little longer to decide the best one because this has a lot of verities which means you need to know what matters in quality. No worries! See here, how to find the best stainless steel grill pan!
Anodized Aluminum Grill Pan :
Searching for something which weighs light? Aluminum is there for you but make sure the aluminum is well coated. Know that raw aluminum is very reactive. Have the pros and cons down below to analyze this that will it be good for you or not:
- Excellent thermal conductivity.
- Weight light.
- These are very affordable.
- It really heats quickly and evenly.
- If you can’t make sure that it is anodized, you are going to have health problem. It can leach while cooking if you use salty or acidic food like tomato sauce.
- The coating can wear away day by day.
- Aluminum pan may become vulnerable to those who are using flat top stoves.
These are popular for its lightweight as well as affordability. Now, If we ask you how would you find the best one? …….. Thinking? Okay, here we go… How to select the best Aluminum Grill Pan for your kitchen!
Now you might be confused with the size? Actually, the size depends on your cooking volume and number of the burner. Here, get some suggestions to choose the best size:
What Size Do You Need?
- Know that – 11 inch pan is above the standard size but great for big pieces of meat to grill.
- If you have two burners then you can go for the size which suits your stove.
- Round shape is fine but don’t you think that a square shape will give you more room to cook!
- While choosing the size do not forget about your oven.
- Handle relates with size. So, for a big pan double handle in both sides is good as well as one for small. However, you will find space saving handle too.
Hope, above matters will help you to choose the best size for your grill pan.
Which Grill Pan is Best?
What do you think? What are the facts that your grill pan should confirm? Sometimes it happens like when the time comes for cooking, you find the limitations. Who wants to repeat this situation again! Here you go…. get some more technical tips to select the right one:
Longer Handle: Short handle is fine then why longer handle? You may think, this will increase the weight of pan. Yes, you are right but don’t you think that it will be convenient for you to cook food when it is time for lifting? Besides that, it will help you to prevent burning hand while managing the food, you are grilling.
Raised Ridges: You might have a question like what should be the minimum height of the ridges for the pan? The answer is ½ centimeter or 0.20 inch at least. Know that, the deeper the ridges, the more dramatic sear mark. The larger the ridges, the more grilled final product.
Coating: This is what, you need to confirm 100% before you buy it. Why? Because it relates to the longevity of the grill pan.
For example, You are going to buy a Cast iron grill pan. What do you need to know? Most of the cast iron pans are pre-seasoned and the others are coated with a substance called enamel.
Which is best? Pre-seasoned pans last longer than enamel coated pans. However, If the exterior also coated with enamel, it is going to last more and it will help you to clean also. So, whatever the pan is, Make sure the coating is perfect.
Perfect Shape: Round, Square or Rectangular? Although the round shape is fine you may guess square shape provides more room. For the double burner, the rectangular will fit nicely.
Matching Press: You will find few grills pans come with a matching press but do you need that? Yes, you will get the grill mark without the matching press but if you want to make more specific and more even grilling, you are going to need this.
Lid: Yes, get a lid. The lid helps to make a trap of smoke, heat, and flavor on the cooking surface which results in excellent taste when it is done.
So all set, Ready to bring one at home! Want to see the top-listed grill pans?
Now, What if we say you a chicken of 1 inch and 2.5 cm thick will take 5 to 7 mins. on one side to cook but a pork, will you agree with me! Like this get more cooking strategy for different foods by using your grill pan. . How about how to use that! Yes, Know more how to use a grill pan with caring tips.