Cast Iron grill pan! Well, you choose the king of grilling! This has been dominating the grilling world since the beginning. We have selected 10 best cast iron grill pan for your easy picking. Read on…
One of the best parts of cast iron is – great in retaining heat without sticking the food into the pan. You may say, it is born for not grilling but the best grilling!
If you have not used it yet, It is for sure that you will not be able to resist yourself from falling in love with it. People, who already experienced it, know the chemistry between the food and the cast iron grill pan.
People often confused a griddle with a grill pan especially when it is about a cast iron. So, what is the difference between a griddle and a grill pan? Simple, a griddle comes with a flat surface and a grill pan comes with ridges.
So, before you go shopping, don’t you think it will be better to know that what matters to find the best one? Here you go…
- How to Find the Best Grill Pan
- 10 Best Cast Iron Grill Pan Review
- Lodge Cast Iron Grill Pan with Iron Flat Grill Press
- Lodge Reversible Cast Iron Grill Pan
- Lodge Cast iron Grill Pan Griddle
- Amazon Basics Cast Iron Pizza Pan
- Skeppshult Grill Pan
- M.V. Trading Cast Iron Grill Pan
- Cast Iron Grill Pan Table of Comparison
- Cast Iron Grill Pan Cleaning
- Best Cast Iron Cleaning Tools
- Maintenance of Cast Iron Grill Pan
- How to season a cast iron grill pan
- How to Cook With a Grill Pan
How to Find the Best Grill Pan
Ridges define a grill pan. Know that raised ridges are better than the shallow ridges. You might have a question like: What is the great height for the ridges? Well, the answer is – more than ½ inch is considered as good by our reviewer. It helps the food to get nice sear marks as well as being good cooked.
When it is a matter of shape, it depends on your choice but if you don’t have any then we may suggest to you. So, round or square? We will go for a square. Why? Because the square shape will give you more room then the round one.
If you ask us about the size, we will ask you about the volume. Size actually depends on the cooking volume. Do you belong to a big family or a small one? You got the answer. One more important thing is- though big one looks great if you don’t need that, don’t go for that because it will weigh more than the small one.
Usually, a long handle is good at lifting or flipping work. If you are going to buy a small pan then the small handle can perform well but for the big one, make sure a long handle. Ensure a hole in the handle that helps you to hang in the kitchen. Since cast iron handle gets hot, check if there is any silicon cover for that. One more option for the big one is double handle which makes the pan more comfortable to lift.
The exact press makes the food crisper. For better cooking find a pan with the press. It highlights the sear marks more tempting. Though it will cost you a little more is great for even heating and it worth that money.
Cast iron is great when it is pre-seasoned. Besides that, you will find more pans with enamel coating but know that pre-seasoned cast iron is far better than the enamel coating. However, If it is coated with enamel in the exterior, it is going to last long. Here, we have selected the 15 best grill pan according to our research based on several benefits to assist you to find the best:
10 Best Cast Iron Grill Pan Review
Victoria Grill Pan
Size: 18 X 10.8 X 2.8 In.
Weight: 4.85 pounds
- It comes with a bigger than a standard curved handle which means easy lifting.
- Besides having a pot holder, you will find a hole in the handle which means you can store it by hanging.
- This cookware seasoned at high temperatures using 100% Non-GMO flaxseed oil that gets even better with time.
- Excellent heat retention.
- Usable in all types: Gas, Electric, Induction, Oven etc.
- The skillet is deep at-least 2” means nice cooking.
- Though it is ready to use if you season it for 4 or 6 times at a high temperature, it will perform better.
So, if you are searching for the small one, this can be a good bet. The curved handle does not only mean easy lifting and good grip but also helps the handle to stay cool (Still protection recommended for the cast iron handle). It can cook anything of grilling at anywhere means on any kind of heat source. Since the weight is not too heavy, you can carry it to camping or outdoor grilling. Just imagine this one with grilled meat on your dining table smokes hot! Isn’t it beautiful!
Lodge Cast Iron Grill Pan
Size: 17.4 X 10.5 X 2.6 In.
Weight: 6.6 pounds
- The curved handle will help you easy lifting.
- There is a hole in the handle to hang it means it saves space.
- You will get a silicon handle holder means you don’t need any heat protector.
- Great in even heating for its ridges of at least 1.8 inches deep.
- Can be used in all cooking surfaces: stove, oven, campfires, etc.
- Pre-seasoned means ready to use.
- It comes with an extra small handle for easy lifting.
- You have to be careful while using the silicon cover. Why? Because, it can slip.
This weapon is absolutely great for your grill war! Why do we say this one is great? Because it can cook indoor and outdoor both which means on any stove or campfire and the size is tremendously excellent for the average volume of food. Though it relatively weighs more for its size you will get more room. This will give the meat an excellent sear mark like the restaurant, Isn’t it awesome!
Lodge Cast Iron Grill Pan with Iron Flat Grill Press
Size: 14.6 X 12.8 X 3.4 In.
Weight: 10.52 pounds
- Pre-seasoned and ready to use.
- Double handle for easy lifting.
- Hole in the handle to hang it.
- Great in even heating and heat retention.
- Comes with an exact press.
- Size is good enough for big meat.
- Can be cooked on any source of heat.
- It is little heavier because of its size.
Want to cook crispier? This one is special for its exact press and you already know how a press comes handy. The cooking surface is big enough to cook at least 4 large breasts of chicken. Though it is a little heavy it has a pot holder for easy lifting. Classy cookware for your cool kitchen!
Bruntm or Cast Iron Grill pan
Size: 16.8 X 14 X 2.7 In.
Weight: 10.8 pounds
- It comes with large loop handles in both sides.
- Excellent heat retention and conduction.
- Easy grease drain.
- Pre-seasoned grill pan, ready to use.
- Usable in all heat source, in-door and out-door.
- Great in size.
- Heavy and has no long handle but has two holders on both sides which is more effective than a handle.
A wonderful addition to any cookware collection for sure. This sturdy cast iron grill pan is able to cook anything on any heat source at anywhere. The rough and tough outlook makes it more handsome and you can bring this versatile cookware direct to the table from the oven or stove. Excellent in heating and able to cook a large volume of food. This is something, you will want for party grilling. Get one and get the classic taste of grilling!
Lodge Cast Iron grill pan
Size: 12 Inch.
Weight: 8.5 pounds
- Pre-seasoned for a natural and ready to use, easy release.
- Comes with a long handle and a pot holder at the other side.
- Nice deep ridges will provide you excellent sear marks.
- Not parallel in even heating and heat retention.
- Exact press available.
- Good in out-door and indoor kitchen.
- Hole in the handle.
- Great in size with a flat outlook.
- Because of the deep ridges, cleaning is a little tough but you know deep ridges are always great for even heating and sear marks.
We say this one is WOW! Found a story about it that – once a user makes steak with this one for his girlfriend and then the girlfriend married him. Get this one and get your girlfriend to marry you! Haha… But seriously, this cool grill pan will provide you a nice, flavorful, soft, tender, juicy and crispier hot taste of the grilled food. This is so latest and stylish that it will be tough for you to not fall in love with that!
Lodge Reversible Cast Iron Grill Pan
Size: 20 X 10.5 X 0.8 Inch.
Weight: 14.11 pounds
- Pre-seasoned and the more you use the more it gets better.
- No synthetic coating or chemicals.
- Two easy griped handles for easy lifting and flipping.
- Suitable for double burner’s stovetop.
- Great in even heating.
- Combo in size.
- It works as a griddle too.
- Heavy but when you think big, it will weigh heavier.
Are you looking for something big? This one is a master of crowd grilling. Want to cook faster? It performs great on two burners in great even heating. With the advantage of versatile cooking, it comes with a dashing sporty outlook as you can see it. Food becomes a memory! No need to think twice, it is going to be a great bet!
Lodge Cast iron Grill Pan Griddle
Size: 12 X 11 X 1 Inch.
Weight: 2.2 pounds
- Reversible cast iron grill pan with great even heating.
- Pre-seasoned and ready to perform.
- Two easy griped handle at the corner for easy lifting and flipping.
- Hole in the handle to store it by hanging while not in use.
- Flat inside and ribbed outside for indoor and outdoor cooking.
- Good in size for family cooking.
- Deep ridges will provide excellent sear marks.
- Usable on any stove.
- Not suitable for double burners.
- Corner handles are not good as the side loop or long handles.
This classy reversible grill pan suites the single burner stove so smoothly. Versatile cooking advantages with easy storing. The weight is relatively less than the double packed size which means easy lifting. The different design makes it classic and will increase the beauty of your dining table.
Amazon Basics Cast Iron Pizza Pan
Size: 16.2 X 13.7 X 1.14 Inch.
Weight: 6.72 lbs
- Pre-seasoned and ready to use for the perfection of pizza.
- Double loop handle for easy lifting.
- Oven safe and suitable for all cooking surface (Max. 500 F).
- The bottom surface is not flat and excellent for making pizza.
- Heats evenly.
- Little heavy and handles are low so when you grab it, there is a chance of getting touch to the oven rack.
- It may become little tough for you to clean for its circle groves.
It is different and not for grilling meat actually. So why we included it here? Because Pizza is almost a regular recipe and if you need a cast iron. Perfect cast iron for a perfect pizza. The specialty is the circular groves help with sticking. However, pizza from this one tastes great and crusty. You can say a sturdy pack for a sporty mom.
Skeppshult Grill Pan
Size: 20.9 X 11.4 X 3.5 Inch.
Weight: 6.83 pounds
- Large handle with the hole.
- Great even heating.
- Concave bottom causes stability.
- Suitable on all cooktop surface.
- Handle is not oven safe.
- Round shape provides you the less room than the square shape.
So, if you like round shape then this is for you. The excellent wooden handle makes it classic in outlook. You may already know recycled iron comes with questionable safety and according to the manufacturer, this iron comes from virgin ore. It means this one is toxic free. Get one and stay healthy.
M.V. Trading Cast Iron Grill Pan
Size: 11 X 1 X 2 Inch.
Weight: 6.45 pounds
- Double loop handle for easy lifting.
- Heats evenly.
- Fish, vegetable to meat, grills everything good.
- Comes with a round dome.
- It is relatively heavy.
- Handles are too small and low.
- For the dome in it, you cannot add water to make the meat more moist while cooking just because the water will stuck in there.
FUN grilling! Whatever, indoor or outdoor it is, going to be fun. Dome in the middle makes it outstanding! Suitable for every kind of grilling. This is so dashing that you can put it directly to the dining table. It meets FDA regulations. Have a wonderful BBQ party with this!
Cast Iron Grill Pan Table of Comparison
|Brand name||Size (Inche)||weight||Shape||Handle type||Rating|
|Victoria||18 X 10.8 X 2.8||4.85 pounds||square||Long curved handle with a pot holder||4.3/5|
|Lodge||17.4 X 10.5 X 2.6||6.6 pounds||square||Loop handles in both sides||4.2/5|
|Lodge||14.6 X 12.8 X 3.4||10.52 pounds||square||Double handle||4.3/5|
|Bruntmor||16.8 X 14 X 2.7||10.8 pounds||square||Loop handles in both sides||4.8/5|
|Lodge||12||8.5 pounds||square||Long handle with a pot holder||4.3/5|
|Lodge||20 X 10.5 X 0.8||14.11||Rectangular||Griped handle in both sides||4.3/5|
|Lodge||12 X 11 X 1||2.2 pounds||square||Griped handle in both corners||4.4/5|
|Amazon basics ( For pizza)||16.2 X 13.7 X 1.14||6.72 lbs||Round||Loop handles in both sides||4.3/5|
|Skeppshult||20.9 X 11.4 X 3.5||6.83 Pounds||Round||Large handle||4/5|
|M.V. Trading||11 X 1 X 2||6.45 pounds||Round||Loop handles in both sides||3.5/5|
So these are the top choices of us based on the different variables. Hope, you will get the desired one among them. Whatever you make, don’t forget to invite us!
Well, How about cleaning? You need to be careful while cleaning cast iron because everyone is not safe for the dishwasher. Have some tips:
Cast Iron Grill Pan Cleaning
Know that cast iron is far different than the other cookware materials and the cleaning method is totally different than others. So, how can you clean your grill pan?
It is so simple. Gather the tools first, see the formula and know the warnings down below:
- Nylon scrub brush,
- Kosher salt,
- Vegetable or olive oil,
- A towel,
- Tissue papers.
- First, check the instruction given with the product.
- Make a paste with kosher salt and water.
- Add some paste with that nylon brush.
- Scrub the cookware till it gets clean.
- Clean with hot water.
- Clean water with a smooth towel.
- Rub a little amount of vegetable or olive oil on the cookware with tissue papers.
- Put it on the stove with a very little temperature for 15 to 20 minutes.
- If possible, store it by hanging for saving the space and it is ready again to cook.
- Do not use a dishwasher because usually cast iron is not safe for the dishwasher. It actually removes the seasoning.
- Do not use a hard brush such as plastic scraper or spatula to scrub it.
- Make sure it clean enough and no food is still there in the ridges.
- Store in a clean place or it will become sticky, crusty and dusty which means you will not be able to use it again.
Best Cast Iron Cleaning Tools
- Lodge care kit for cast iron cookware. Amazon.com
- Cast iron pan scraper. Amazon.com
- Chainmail scrubbing pad. Amazon.com
- Seasoning oil. Amazon.com
- Is not it easy! Besides that, don’t you want to know how to maintain it? Good maintenance helps it to live longer and nice cooking. It is not about only cooking but how do you care your cooking stuff! Get the instruction below:
Maintenance of Cast Iron Grill Pan
When it is about maintenance, we start from seasoning. Though now almost all the cast iron grill pan comes with pre-seasoning if it doesn’t know how to do it! However, Sometimes it needs seasoning for better treatment before you use it though it is already pre-seasoned.
However, how will you know that when a pre-seasoned pan needs to season again? Simple, when you see your food sticks to the surface and it seems rusty
How to season a cast iron grill pan
Materials for seasoning:
- Dish soap for cast iron grill pan
- Sponge or nylon scraper
- Dry towel
- Tissue paper
- Vegetable oil
- Aluminum foil.
- Gather all the stuff given above,
- Preheat your oven to 350 degree F,
- Wash the pan with soapy warm water if you don’t have recommended dishwasher for cast iron and note that using soap is fine for now because it is going to be seasoned.
- Rinse and dry the iron with dry towel.
- Pour a small amount of vegetable oil into the skillet or get the recommended oil for seasoning.
- Rub the entire skillet with tissue paper for coating. Remember; coat it with that oil everywhere of the pan: inside, outside, top and bottom.
- Place the skillet upside down on the oven’s rack.
- Place aluminum foil below the racks for catching any drips.
- Bake it for an hour.
- Turn off the heat and let the pan gets cool before removing from the oven and when it is cool, it is good to go.
Make sure the handle is oven safe while seasoning.
Know the max. temperature limit of that product before you go to the oven.
That is all but hold a minute do you know what matters for easy cooking or how to cook on that? If you do the followings while you go cooking with that, it will produce the better taste and become easy for cooking:
How to Cook With a Grill Pan
To cook with a cast iron, first, you need to prepare it for cooking. Remember, do not start cooking without coating. However, if you follow the followings, it will create less smoke.
- Rinse the grill pan with warm water to wash the dust and make it dry with a towel.
- Allow the pan on the stove for at least 5 minutes in medium heat and make sure the entire pan is hot.
- Slice the food as thin as possible and it won’t get burnt.
- Brush oil on the food instead of the pan. Though you can add little oil into the skillet too.
- Gently place the food on the ridges.
- Flip and cook in your own style.
- Do not forget to cover the pan while cooking, it will increase the flavor and the food will be more cooked inside.
- After cooking wash it and store in a dry place.
Do not brush oil inside and outside on the grill pan before cooking, it may fire up.
Do not touch the handle without protection.
Since we do not know what kind of stove you have, make sure your pan is suitable for that before you go cooking.
According to the opinion of some food rangers, grilled food from cast iron is the best. It creates taste, what it exactly needs to. “Take me, I am born for grilling!” hey, we are not telling this but a cast iron grill pan.
Know that cast iron is not the only an option for grilling. If you want, you can check below categories too and know that they also good competitors of cast iron. Ceramic grill pan.
Ceramic grill pan.
Stainless steel grill pan.
Anodized aluminum grill pan.
Want to know which is best among them? See here what you need to know before you buy a grill pan. Have a great one!